Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Joshua and the Gingerbread Man

As we decorated and marveled at our Christmas tree, this seemed to be Joshua's favorite ornament...he had quite a bit to say about it!

Joshua: "Wow, that's a nice ornament. It has hair on it. I think it's kinda white. I think the gingerbread man needs a diaper change." ...hmmm, interesting.


This is the first year that I've really "decorated" a tree. It was really fun...usually we just use a bunch of lights and random ornaments. This year, I bought two packages of "pretty" ornaments and three kinds of ribbon. My friend Alison (her husband is the high school pastor) inspired me. She has the most beautiful Christmas tree I've ever seen! I'll try to remember to take a picture and stick it on here. Although the tree had plenty of decor already on it and probably looked prettier without, I couldn't leave our special ornaments in the box. There are so many memories from each special one. I also consider buying a fake tree every year during the after-Christmas sales. I don't think I can bring myself to do this either. Although it would be more economical in the long run and less of a hassle with all the dropping pine needles, I love picking out a tree. I love the imperfection of a real tree and how Fred has to hold it up and turn it until we find the "prettiest side." There's just something about it. I suppose that there are some traditions that although there's no biblical mandate to them, you just hate to change. I've been thinking about this a lot this season...how we always say that we hope that when we're older, we won't be wrapped in tradition. Yet, here we are; age 28 and clinging to the way we've always done it!


7 comments:

The Via Colony said...

OK, there is no way you have 2 kids and a tree that pretty!!! You did a GREAT job. I'm with you about traditions too=)

Luke and Laura Brosius said...

My babies are so big!!! I miss them so much!!! I love the picture of Anna sitting in that chair - she is beautiful! And I cannot believe that Joshua is talking in paragraphs! Christmas could not come soon enough!
- oh yeah, and your tree is absolutely beautiful...forgive me though if I am more taken with Joshua and Anna :)

Luke and Laura Brosius said...

My babies look so BIG!!! I miss them so much!!! I love the picture of Anna sitting in the chair, she is beautiful! And I cannot believe Joshua is talking in paragraphs. Christmas could NOT come soon enough!
- Oh yeah, the tree is absolutely gorgeous...forgive me though if I am more taken by Joshua and Anna :)
Laura

Luke and Laura Brosius said...

Sorry - trying to figure out this blogging thing. I didnt think the first one worked :)

ellieandavasmommy said...

Your tree looks SO pretty! Okay, so it's weird that Joshua was talking about Ellie because just today, she said, "Mom, Joshua really needs to come to our house." It was cute. Guess they've been thinking about each other. We love you guys and miss you terribly! Maybe we can get together in the spring.

Unknown said...

Joshua looks the same....we miss you guys. Hope you are doing well.

Barb Cash
Cashlynn@gmail.com

Josh Via said...

You guys are awesome parents!!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker