Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ladybugs and Belly flops

This is a pretty random post, but there are several stories/updates that I keep meaning to put on here and am finally getting around to it. So...here are some fun happenings from the Broome home:
1. Ladybugs:
For some reason, ever since we moved into our house, we've had a constant visiting of ladybugs. I have no idea where they come in, but they like to congregate at the windows. Because most of the trim in our house is stained wood, I often times do not notice the ladybugs before the kids do. Needless to say, Anna Bell has eaten at least two of them (maybe I need to work more protein into her diet..ha!). Joshua just likes to play with them until he says "Uh oh, mom, I squished em!" Oh well.
2. Belly flops: There is no doubt that Joshua is "all boy" and extremely tough. Although I think that it has to do, in part, with the fact that we don't make a big fuss when he falls or bumps his head. More than that, I think that he's just a tough kid. Our prayer is that Joshua would live up to the verse that we pray over him: that he would be strong and courageous and obey the Word of the Lord (Joshua 1:7-9) However, his latest "courageous" stunt is a little too much for mom and dad. Last week, as we were all hanging out in the family room, Joshua stood up on the couch and jump off doing a complete belly flop onto the floor! What in the world! He didn't fuss at all, but I thought that surely he was just trying to be tough and wouldn't attempt the stunt again. Oh no, he has done it like five times since then!!! Crazy kid.
3. I hate Wallpaper: When we moved into our house in October, I was rip roarin ready to get all the wallpaper out of the house in the first week. Well, here we are: going on our sixth month of living here, and we've only finished two bathrooms. We still have our master bath and the kitchen to do. The paper is original to the house, so not only has it been up for 20 years, but the wallboard was not primed before it was put up. This means that it takes forever to get it off and it leaves a lot of imperfections in the wallboard. While Fred was out of town this weekend, I decided to try to putty the seams in the paper with joint compound and paint over it. So far that's looking like a bad idea. Has anyone done this and did it look okay once you were all done?

4 comments:

Kelli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelli said...

Uhhh...I'm sorry. I seem to remember someone else I know belly flopping off that stage at Crestview Middle School and landing on the practically cement floor - multiple times. Gosh, I wish I could remember who that was...

sheltonfamily said...

My parents have a lot of ladybugs as well this time of year. Maybe, it is a GA thing... I cannot imagine the belly flop not hurting Joshua. He is one tough kiddo. Take your time on the wall paper. I still don't have all my pictures hung if that makes you feel better and our garage is a mess!

Unknown said...

The wallpaper story reminds me of my own escapades in that area. I was banned from all further attempts at mudding a wall after wallpaper was removed. Priming should be required!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker