Thursday, March 27, 2008

Ouch...

I am doing a book study with a couple of friends here in Macon. It's really great: because we all have young kids and realize that getting together to having meaningful conversation with 7 toddlers is about impossible, we "meet together" online. We have our own website where each week one of us posts questions from the chapter for that week. We then discuss and challenge one another throughout the week, when each of us has time. Then, when we do get together, we're not bound to an agenda. We can simply enjoy each other's company. It's been really good for me to have this kind of fellowship and accountability. The book that we are reading is Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahaney. It goes through the virtues of Titus 2 that older women are to model for their younger sisters. This is a book that I have wanted to read and have never gotten around to buying. For those of you who are looking for a good/challenging read, I highly recommend it. We got ours on the Mahaney's ministry website.
Anyway, this week's chapter was about self-control. One of the topics highlighted was the discipline of sleeping for the glory of God. I have never considered myself a morning person and thought that that was okay. However, this quote has really challenged my habit of being a "night owl:"
"I have heard of women who pride themselves on being "night people." That means that they have trouble getting up in the mornings because they come alive at night. They may stay up to all hours reading, watching television, or pursuing some sort of interest. The next morning they are too tired to get up and care for their family...These women are not "night people." They are lazy and selfish. who would not rather stay up late to do whatever they please and sleep late the next day? Once a young wife begins getting up earlier than her children and her husband, she will cease to be a "night person." She will be tired at night and go to bed at a reasonable hour so she will be there to serve her family the next morning." (by Martha Peace, Becoming a Titus 2 Woman)
...Ouch!

4 comments:

The Via Colony said...

Wow! Thanks for the advice on the good read. I'm gonna look into that one for sure=)

sheltonfamily said...

CONVICTION! I read the mahaney's blog
girltalk.blogs.com
Jenn M. is a huge fan of all their stuff... I've been meaning to get that book!

Lisa and Sandy said...

Isn't it sad that older women rarely take the time to mentor younger women anymore? I know there are exceptions, but I believe that there is a culture of selfishness that my generation has fallen prey to that is dishonoring to The Lord in the area of investing in the mentoring of younger women.

I love this blog and I'm so excited that you and your friends are creatively finding ways to challenge each other despite the difficulties that result from having small, very dependent children. God will bless this discipline and you will bless others as a result!! ;)

Jennifer Hambrick said...

Sounds like a good read...but I should make sure I am wearing my steel-toed boots when I read it =)

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker