Monday, March 24, 2008

Travel with Two

The kids and I spent last week in St. Louis visiting the family. It was spring break for mom and Laura and Fred had a busy week preparing for Easter services, so we figured it was a good week for me to go. I had been anticipating this trip with both excitement and a bit of anxiety because of the whole flying thing. I really didn't know what to expect traveling with Joshua and Anna Bell all by myself. There are so many factors that play into it: getting through security, the train thingy at the ATL airport, ear trouble with AB, diaper changing....you get the point. Thankfully, I had received some great advice/tips from those of you who have done this before (thanks, Holly!!!). The absolute best advice is BRING THE STROLLER!!!! Atlanta was so crazy with business travelers on Monday morning that I really don't know if we could have done it without the double umbrella stroller. Basically, they treat you like a handicapped person when you have one of these things, so we didn't have to wait in the forever long line for security. Instead, they usher you right up to the front and into a specific stroller/handicap line. It was truly a lifesaver! I also called the airline ahead of time and they placed a request on my ticket that Fred be able to go to the gate with me. They said that whether they granted this request depended on the level of security for that day, but PRAISE GOD, our request was granted and Fred came with us all the way to our gate! The flight itself wasn't bad at all: Joshua spent most of the time pealing Thomas the Train stickers and Anna Bell was tired of sitting by the end of it, but stayed pretty quiet. On the way back, we had to make it through the airport without Fred (which was a little crazy, trying to get on and off the tram with the kids, bag, stroller, and Joshua's carseat!) but we made it without too much excitement.
We had such a blast at Grandpa and Grandma's house. We went shopping, to the zoo, swimming at the Y, and spent lots of time just hanging out together. Maddie and Joshua had a great time- although their relationship is a bit dramatic (Joshua really enjoys getting Maddie upset). Anna Bell loved all the attention that she received and really loves Molly, my parents' Golden Retriever. We had a great time and the week flew by, but it's good to be home-- we all really missed Fred and the kids missed the routine of being at home. Thanks for having us Mom and Dad. We love you and miss you!!!
*Side note: A new mall opened in Macon while we were gone. It's really close to our house and has lots of fun new shops. We decided to go check it out this evening. As well pulled up in front of B&N, Joshua excitedly said "I want to go in there and drink my coffee!!!!"...That's my boy:)

3 comments:

sheltonfamily said...

Way to go! You did it! I am totally going to get Mike to help me now. I think our kids just hate to travel. They are not really car people either. Ellie is way better than Anna. I'm glad you had such a nice time. The B&N sounds fun. I know they have story time there we've just never been. However, both kids love the kids area there.

Jennifer Hambrick said...

Shew...I'm tired for you =) I know how crazy it can be to travel with two by yourself...but it sounds like you all did great! Too funny about Joshua's coffee comment =)

The Via Colony said...

2 kids stroller, bags AND A CAR SEAT??? You are the Woman!!!!

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker