Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Thank You, Dear Husband!

Growing up, I have vivid memories of my mom sewing. She would stay up all night making me and my sisters' Easter, Christmas, and First Day of School dresses. I wish that I had pictures here of some of these outfits; some were quite "impressive". We're talking Christmas dresses with lacey placemats as the collars. We even had designated colors; my dresses were often times country blue (can we say 80's!!!) Laura's colors was mauve, and Becca was cranberry. This was a childhood nightmare for the tomboy girl that I once was. I wasn't a fan of dresses to begin with, let alone those with lace and smocking on them! (At least my color was blue, right?!) Well, anyway- my mom is a really gifted seamstress. She can make just about anything. She even made Anna Bell's crib bedding. As I was growing up, I had absolutely no interest in learning how to sew. It wasn't at all my thing. However, now that I'm wife/mom/homemaker with a daughter (that I want to put in pillowcase dresses-- for which she'll someday make fun of me for), I want to learn to sew. My sweet, thoughtful husband surprised me on Sunday with this super-cool sewing machine!


I was so incredibly excited! I pulled out the manual (and I'm not really a manual type of person, but I was so determined to figure the thing out.) I learned how to thread the bobbin and the needle and practiced some of the stitching options. Then I finished my very first sewing project:

I wish that my mom wasn't hundreds of miles away and we could sit down and she could teach me. We intend to do those sort of things when we visit, but the days are so jam-packed that we never get around to it. However, she's coming next month, so I have every intention of planning a big sewing party while she's here!


7 comments:

Katelyn said...

Lindsey - I'm so jealous of your sewing machine!! I REALLY want one too, especially one that monograms (maybe that is a separate machine, that's how much I know!!) The curtains look great, do did awesome!! Can't wait to see the new kitchen!

shelly said...

sweet! i love my sewing machine. the curtains look great...your house just keeps getting better and better!

Jennifer Hambrick said...

the curtains look great!

i love how there is a container of cereal and and booster seat in the picture too =)

i have an older model Singer sewing machine passed down from my great aunt that i love...you are going to have so much fun with yours!

can't wait to see all your new creations =)

Rebecca Layer said...

LOVE The curtains!!!!! Miss you guys and can't wait to see you in April for the wedding :) PS have you seen the flower girl dresses they are SUPER CUTE~!

Shannon Bradley said...

He's such a keeper :) I have my Mom's old machine and I have made some curtains and baby slings with it. I would love to learn more!

Shannon Bradley said...

oh, and I LOVE the curtains!!

Unknown said...

Are those the curtains you made??? I heart them! Where did you get the fabric? I want some like that in my kitchen.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker