Sunday, February 24, 2008

Do I REALLY Fear the Lord??!!?

Our pastor began a series titled "The Way of Wisdom" a few weeks back. It is a study of the Proverbs that has really challenged me. The first week, Pastor Tim challenged us as families to commit to reading a chapter of Proverbs each day and to memorize one verse each week for the next 31 days. As simple as it sounds, it has been very refining for me. When I look at the Proverbs and all the references to "fearing the Lord," I am greatly convicted. Do I really fear Him??! Do I even really know what having a right fear of my Father looks like? One resounding theme that I have seen as I've read is that only with humility comes a right fear of God. Here are some other characteristics that our pastor shared with us from God's Word that really hit home with me:
Fear of the Lord means...
*keeping my heart tender before the Lord. "Blessed is the one who fears the Lord always, but whoever hardens his heart will fall into calmity." (28:14)
*valuing God's approval more than that of any person. "Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe." (29:25)
Another amazing truth that Pastor Tim taught is that when Fred and I rightly fear the Lord, we experience great confidence, which in turn, creates and place of security for our kids. "In the fear of the Lord one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge." (14:26)
I am so thankful for how my loving Father refines me. I love how He teaches and corrects me with His Word! I am both overwhelmed and excited about how much I have to learn and grow!

2 comments:

SnodsAbroad said...

Hi Lindsey! I was just catching up on your blog. Your children are BEAUTIFUL--such big eyes! It looks like you have lots of adventures with them. Your painting is amazing...you are so talented.

Thanks for all of your encouragement in the last few weeks. We love you guys!

The Via Colony said...

I def. needed that tonight!! Thanks

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker