Tuesday, February 05, 2008

More Painting...(thank you, dear husband:))

One of the big deal events that Ingleside does every year is a father/daughter dinner. On the first night, they have it for teenagers and their dads and the second night is for elementary aged girls and daddies. Because it is technically a "student event," Fred and the high school pastor are part of the planning. Besides them (and the children's pastor) it basically consists of a bunch of creative/decorative-inclined ladies. I would love to be in these meetings to watch my husband's blank stare as the women go on and on about stargazer lilies and floor-length tablecloths! Not long after Fred started attending these meetings, we were playing battle of the sexes and he answered the question correctly "What is toile?" Wow...that's all I have to say.
Anyways, after one of these particular meetings, Fred got home and we all went out to run errands. When we got home, I had a message on the answering machine from a woman who helps with this event. She said that she had a "proposition" for me. Being that I have only met her once, I thought this quite strange. I looked at Fred and said "hmm...I wonder what that could be about." Fred replied with a bit of a chuckle "...I think I might have some idea." Hmmm. So...here's what happened: The ladies were discussing how great it would be if they had someone paint a picture that would be displayed at the entrance of the event that "captured the essence" of the theme verse. One of the ladies had a friend that did these sort of paintings and she said that she would give him a call. Before moving on to the next order of business, my dear husbands piped in.:) He said that I painted and could probably do something like that. Thank you, Freddy Broome!!! It's not that I didn't want to help, it's just that I haven't painted much at all since having kids and I don't really know what I'm doing in the first place. I have no idea about technique or brushes...it's really just through trial and error that I learn. The pressure of painting something for an event like this kind of overwhelms me. However...I called the woman back and told her that I would do it. Many of you know how difficult it is to serve in the local church when you've got little kids (especially if your husband is on staff) ...there's so many times that I go to events to "help" and end up getting paged or having to leave early for bed time or chasing the kids the whole time. This was a way that I could use my "gifts" even as a young momma. I am actually really grateful that Fred volunteered me for this project. The painting is far from perfect, but I thoroughly enjoyed working on it. For the past week, I've spent every nap time and some evenings painting. I would pull out the ipod and be in my own little world for an hour or so. It was really fun! I guess that sometimes I get in the routine of being wife and mommy and forget about some of the hobbies that I really love. SO....Thank You, dear hubby for allowing me the opportunity to paint:)

6 comments:

The Via Colony said...

I'd love to see a picture of it! Your artwork is BEAUTIFUL...especially since you SAY you don't know what you are doing!! I know you did a great job. I'm so glad you found a way to serve "with kids". I know it is hard, but you were obedient to say yes to this opportunity!!

sheltonfamily said...

Awesome... we expect to see a pic. on the blog... I remember Anna Belle's room and you can definetly paint!

Adam, Connie, Josiah, and Bella said...

Yes, I totally know how it is to try to do anything at church with little ones - motherhood always comes first!
I have always loved your paintings, Linds; I can't wait to see a pic.
About the "faux-hawk" - that's actually being discussed...we'll see.

Jennifer Hambrick said...

I agree, we need to see some pictures! I totally understand about getting caught up in our mom/wife roles...How great to have an outlet for your creativity...and for it to be used for the Lord's work!

The Hunters said...

Hi Lindsey
Your kids are precious, and your hair looks great brown. It is fun to read your blog and hear another young mom's reflections and funny stories.
I want to see pics of the painting too!
Shelly Hunter

shelly said...

well, i was just going to ask to see the painting, but i guess five people beat me to the punch.

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker