Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Let the Nesting Begin...

Well, it's hard to believe, but I am now 4 weeks or less away from birthing baby #3! That's right: we're still calling this poor child #3 because we have yet to decide on a name. Oh well...we have never been especially good at coming up with names and we just haven't worried too much about this one. We have some strong possibilities-- we may just need to see the boy's precious face to decide on one.
Here's what I'm wondering: is the whole nesting thing a legitimate part of pregnancy? Because I think that it truly is. Unfortunately, my "nesting" urges don't really come in the form of organizing and reorganizing baby's clothes, packing for the hospital, setting up all the baby stuff...although I do get those things done. No...my nesting takes a much more drastic form: I want to paint all the baseboards in my house, refinish furniture, and pressure wash the siding and windows. Now, don't worry; I am for the most part resisting the urge to accomplish such tasks. (However, my dear husband and one of his good friends are putting ceramic tile in the kitchen this weekend-- bless them...the old, yucky linoleum is driving me crazy!!!)
When we moved from NC to Indiana, I was 34 weeks pregnant with Joshua. Our hope was to be in a house by the time he arrived, but as the due date approached, I had to come to the realization that we probably would not be able to close on our first house before he came. This made the whole nesting thing really frustrating: we were "living" in the little suite at the church that was designated for those in ministry who needed a temporary place to stay. It was a major blessing to have such a place for us to live while we were waiting to move into our house...but not exactly where I dreamed of bringing our firstborn home to! Anyways, there was one particular night that I was really struggle with this ...and coupled with the fact that I wasn't sleeping well anymore- it must have been about 2 in the morning that I finally gave up trying to fall asleep and got up to read. My attitude was pretty bad-- I so wanted to be in our house and get all the baby stuff together. So, I began to read the Bible and pray that God would change my heart and that I would stop being so selfish. Just as I began praying, I looked down only to see the largest cockroach running under my chair! So gross!!!! Ha...not exactly helpful to my current attitude! I just had to laugh and know that things could be much worse and that God's timing is not always ours, but it's very good. We did end up bringing Joshua home to the church- where he spent his first couple of nights "home" from the hospital. We were able to move into our first house when he was almost a week old. It all worked out just fine...but it makes me grateful now as I look back that we are in our house and I have a little room for this precious one to come home to. (*I will post pics of it soon!)
So, here's my question: what "crazy" things have any of you moms done while nesting/getting ready for baby to come? ...I'm curious!

6 comments:

Kelli said...

I decided I needed to make a scrapbook for Sloan before Tia was born and I also wanted to develop and organize every picture we'd ever taken. It was wildly overwhelming but I was determined and I did it...And I haven't made a scrapbook since nor have I had a majority of pictures developed - and the ones I did develop are sitting in a drawer. *sigh*

The Via Colony said...

I too got caught up on all my scrapbooking. I am ALWAYS organizing and re-organizing. I go through sperts of "going through things" to GET RID OF. I think that's my biggest thing. Getting Rid Of STUFF! It has come back to haunt my on several occasions.

We cannot wait to be there in February=)

The Hunters said...

I think I am still in the nesting phase and wanting to organize all my drawers and cabinets...too bad I don't have any time for it now! I started nesting BIG TIME exactly one week before Canon came. Now looking back, I wish I had done even more...
Can't wait to see pictures of your new precious one!

carol prosser said...

I have to smile as I read this and remember the girl who told me she was going to raise her babies in a mud hut in Africa and feed them gruel 3 times a day so that they would be "culturally relevant". I am grateful that my grandchidren (and you and Fred) are not in Africa - although GA is a bit too far for me!
Believe it or not - I sewed till the wee hours and cleaned (yes, I really did - I promise!) everything - especially base boards - also painted and wallpapered for Ashley - so apparently "nesting" is not only real - but hereditary in part!
Love you and can't wait to hold him!!!

Jennifer Hambrick said...

I already have OCD tendencies...so this nesting thing during pregnancy can get really out of control for me =) I also think it gets progressively worse with each pregnancy (for me at least!)...I am already noticing things like dirty baseboards and unorganized children's clothes! I think the craziest thing I did with Ezra was rearrange ALL the furniture in our house...by myself during one of Jeremiah's trips! Hehe.

Happy Nesting!

ellieandavasmommy said...

I started baking. On top of normal things with having a child already and working, the day I was in labor with Ava, I baked pumpkin bread and scrubbed my kitchen floor to pass the time. I had other great ideas, but that was more practical and an obtainable goal. :-)

Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker